Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ! According to his great mercy, he has caused us to be born again to a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, to an inheritance that is imperishable, undefiled, and unfading, kept in heaven for you…(1 Peter 1:3-4 ESV)
What were the best gifts you ever received on your birthday or during Christmas? Surely you value and treasure those memories, but where are those gifts now? They probably have perished, faded or become soiled already. Even if you inherit a vast amount of money, one day, they will be gone. With God, the gift coming your way is an inheritance that will never perish, stain, fade, or run out. It is a gift of immeasurable value, and it is a multifaceted gift. One day, you will be with God in heaven. You will see His face. You will never encounter sin, decay, evil, corruption, and death – ever again. There will no longer be mourning or crying or pain anymore [see Revelations 21:4.] Not only that, you will spend that great life together with all your family and friends who persevered in this life with God. A grand reunion is coming! This thought should excite and energise you. Are you looking forward to seeing your gift one day?
So How Do You Live Your Life Knowing You Have A Great Inheritance Awaiting You?
- Have a long-term plan for your Christian life. Have a plan to finish the race of faith to the end, come hell or high waters. The Christian life’s complete meaning only comes in the end; otherwise, you are like watching a movie or running a marathon and quitting before the end – it does not make sense.
- Life will throw hardships, challenges and difficulties once in a while; anticipate their coming and be prepared to face them well. Tackle them with the mind of Christ and respond to them in a Godly way.
- In this life, God is not after your success but your faithfulness. Success, or the lack of it, comes from God anyway – we are not entirely in control of all circumstances to determine our destiny. So measure your life based on your faithfulness to God, not on success or failures.
- Start the habit of ‘putting on Jesus Christ’ now if you have not done so[See Romans 13:14]. God wants you to grow in the character of Christ now and be like Him in all things. God wants others to see Jesus in you. Leave your old way of living and live a new way of life in Jesus’ footsteps.
- Have eager anticipation and excitement of your immense inheritance. Remind yourself daily of the gift you will receive. In good times and in bad, remind yourself that your current life is only temporary, and your true life is hidden in God. If then you have been raised with Christ, seek the things that are above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God. Set your minds on things that are above, not on things that are on earth. For you have died, and your life is hidden with Christ in God. When Christ who is your life appears, then you also will appear with him in glory. (Colossians 3:1-4 ESV)
- For to me, to live is Christ, and to die is gain. If I am to live in the flesh, that means fruitful labour for me. Yet which I shall choose, I cannot tell. I am hard-pressed between the two. My desire is to depart and be with Christ, for that is far better. (Philippians 1:21-23 ESV)
- But, as it is written, “What no eye has seen, nor ear heard, nor the heart of man imagined, what God has prepared for those who love him.” (1 Corinthians 2:9 ESV)
- And because you are sons, God has sent the Spirit of his Son into our hearts, crying, “Abba! Father!” So you are no longer a slave, but a son, and if a son, then an heir through God. (Galatians 4:6-7 ESV)
- Other Scripture references: Matthew 13:44; Mark 10:21; Ephesians 1:3-9; and 1 Timothy 6:17-
For Personal Reflection or Group Sharing:
- How often do you think of your Godly inheritance?
- Do you get excited about it?
Top photo image of a winter landscape in Germany, by © Michael Schöberl, see Alpine Simplicity – An Artistic Vision in Living Bulwark.
Tom Caballes is the National Senior Administrator and a National Coordinator of the Lamb of God, a community of the Sword of the Spirit with 7 branches located throughout New Zealand. Tom also leads Kairos New Zealand, an outreach program for high school, university, and post-university aged people. Tom and his wife Mhel and their two daughters live in Wellington, New Zealand.